Saturday, November 11, 2006

Special commemorations


Since a few years the responsibility rests upon me, as a new generation, to keep and maintain the memory of my uncle Eric who died as a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot in WWII. Nobody is alive today who knows exactly what happened, but apparently he was shot down on a mission over the Black Sea.
For me personally it belongs to the realm of things "to be investigated when the time is ripe" (not further specified). I'd love to hear from anyone who knows what the mission might have been.
Ever since this special task came to rest upon me I am taking the opportunity of the British commonwealth commemoration of all the war dead on the 11th of the 11th month at the 11th hour to also pay my respects to the memory of my uncle, who was young and still in college at the time of his death, and didn't have any offspring. I thank him for the ultimate sacrifice. May God keep him and rest his soul.

In the news: United States Catholics are renewing today the consecration to the protection of its patroness, the Immaculate Conception during Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington. Score board: The Holy Virgin versus Al Qaeda: 1/1, so to speak. I don't bet as a rule, but if I did I'd know where to put my money ...



No comments: